We’re working to invent a world where cancer isn’t just treated, but cured.
Our mission is to deliver breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of people with cancer
We work to prevent cancer through preventive vaccination and to provide oncologists with treatment options that give their patients a better quality of life and more time.
Everyone knows someone who has been touched by cancer. When a cancer diagnosis happens, what matters most isn’t what the next scientific breakthrough is – but when it will be available to patients in Switzerland.
Our work in oncology
clinical trials involving our cancer medicines in Switzerland (as of 03/2023).
patients currently enrolled in our clinical trials in Switzerland and about 200 patients are actively on study drug (as of 03/2023).
different types of cancer are being studied in our clinical trials Switzerland (as of 03/2023).
Our company has a long history of bringing forward innovative medicines. In the field of oncology, we focus on immunotherapy, which aims to activate the body's own immune system to fight the tumor. Our relentless commitment to research and development has enabled us to establish an exceptionally broad research program with around 2'000 studies. Switzerland is part of this program, currently conducting 33 clinical trials in different tumor types (as of 03/2023). Today, our portfolio includes oncology medicines that treat different cancers and conditions related to cancer treatment.
Access to care
Improving access to cancer care is our strategic priority. We are working with the entire cancer community to help patients gain access to the oncology medicines that they need and to expand the provision of quality cancer care.
The Swiss Oncology team is
- collaborating with authorities and institutions to ensure access to our medicines
- working on solutions how to continuously improve the support of healthcare professionals and patients in the treatment of cancer
- interacting with Oncologists, Scientific leaders and patient organizations to gain insight into market and customer needs.
- engages with decision makers to make cancer care in Switzerland even more efficient and solution-oriented.
Progress through partnerships
We work with the entire cancer community - advocacy partners, health care providers, government and industry colleagues - all who share our mission to extend and improve the lives of people with cancer.
Our focus areas are:
Information and education
We provide information about cancer, prevention and early detection, therapy options, and where patients can get advice and support on various platforms: for cancer patients and their relatives and medical professionals:
- msd-gesundheit.ch: Information platform for cancer patients
Prevention and early detection
We work with various patient organizations and support campaigns to raise public awareness about cancer prevention and early detection:
- EUROPA DONNA Switzerland: awareness campaign for early detection of breast cancer
- Leben mit Lungenkrebs: platform for lung cancer patients and their relatives
- My Survival Story: platform for cancer survivors in the field of patient empowerment
- SGDV Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Dermatologie und Venerologie: National skin cancer campaign for the prevention of skin cancer
Improving cancer care
We support platforms that continuously drive health policy discussions around improving cancer care in Switzerland:
- Oncosuisse: We are a member of the Oncosuisse partner pool and thus actively promote networking in the oncology community with the aim to break down barriers in the system and close gaps.
- Swiss Consumer Forum kf: regular OncoRoundtables with various stakeholders to discuss & find solutions to improve current cancer care in Swttzerland.
- Swiss Cancer Foundation: We are a member of the Swiss Cancer Foundation and thus support important research projects in the field of cancer care.
«MSD is one of the world's leading companies in oncology. Visionary research and collaborative action have already led to breakthroughs in the prevention and treatment of certain cancers. We are continuously working to drive further innovation that will help change the future of this disease.»
Business Unit Director Oncology · MSD Switzerland
Key therapeutic areas
Head and neck cancer
Learn more about our commitment to fight cancer
Survey on cancer care in Switzerland: Good ratings—But some work to do
Cancers pose a major challenge not only for those affected but also for the health care system. MSD has worked with the research institute gfs.bern to create a representative survey, the first of its kind, to take a detailed look at public opinion regarding the quality of cancer care in Switzerland. The survey showed that […]
Things to know about cancer and the biomarker MSI-H/dMMR
Cancer patients need treatment that is most suitable for their specific disease. Biomarkers, biological characteristics that can be measured in blood or tissue samples, are an aid in finding the right treatment. MSI-h/dMMR is such a biomarker.
What we do to support Lung Cancer Awareness Month
November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month. A month dedicated to those affected and to raising public awareness about the causes, early detection and prevention of the disease. Did you know lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death worldwide? At MSD, we are committed to fighting lung cancer and improving cancer care. Learn how we support Lung Cancer Awareness Month.